Java Certification Resources
The Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform certification is the first level of certification for the Java language. Sun started certifying programmers back in 1996 when the 1.02 JDK was the current language version. The Java 2 Platform (or JDK 1.2) was released in December 1998, and we are now up to SDK 1.4 as the official release.
As more and more of the big software vendors committed heavily to Java, a multi-vendor certification initiative was created. These vendors, such as IBM and Novell have some specialty Java certifications under development but the initial level of certification remains the Sun Certified Programmer.
Current information on the multi-vendor certification initiative supported by IBM, BEA Systems, Sun Microsystems, and a number of training organizations can be found at jcert (this website is no longer available, new referall site needed).
The Exam Objectives
As of August, 2002, Sun has two Sun Certified Programmer certifications! Follow these links for the different objectives.
- Exam 310-025: The familiar Sun Certified Programmer for Java™ 2 Platform 1.2.
- Exam 310-035: Sun
Certified Programmer for Java 2 Platform 1.4.
Visit Sun’s FAQ about various exams. Note that the site is run by the education division of Sun, not the Java division.
New Exam Cram Book!!!
Hurrah! The new Java 2 Programmer Exam Cram 2 (ISBN 0789728613) book that Marcus Green and I revised for the 310-035 exam is now available! Click here to buy the book from Amazon.com. It came out in March, 2003 from Que Publishing, a highly respected source of training materials and study guides. The first and second editions of this book were quite popular and went to multiple printings, but the publisher (Coriolis) went out of business.
Fortunately, Que Publishing picked up the entire Exam Cram series, renaming it Exam Cram 2. These books are carefully designed to help you cram for specific exams. If you want a general Java text, look elsewhere, but if you want to cram for the 310-035 exam, this is your best and lowest-cost solution.
You can get a preview look at a sample of the exams in that book in the Applet simulation listed below or in HTML format at my new wbrogden.com Web site! Check out information about the Java 2 Programmer Exam Cram 2 book on that site as well.
Bill Brogden’s Practice Certification Exams
This applet simulates the environment of the Java 2 Programmer Certification Exam (310-035) as administered by Prometric. The questions are based on the Java 2 exam objectives document as published by Sun. This is a small subset (43 questions) from the multiple example exams in the new Exam Cram book.HardestTest
We have been running various versions of these tests online since March of 1998, accumulating information on those aspects of the Java certification exam that people have the most difficulty with. This information has helped in the creation of the new book.
Over 10,000 test results have been recorded in the last year or so. I have selected 19 of the most frequently missed questions on a variety of topics and placed them in the following Hardest Questions Collection. If you get a good score on these you should have no fear of the real test.
Marcus Green’s Java Programmer Certification Exam And Training Web site includes discussion groups, several downloadable mock exams, tutorials plus a lot of other resources. Marcus has been operating this site for years and has refined the tutorial based on the questions of students preparing for the exam. NEW! Marcus is selling paper copies of his tutorial at His Own Site in case you don’t want to mess with downloading and printing over 300 pages! Marcus also contributed to the 2nd Edition of my Java 2 Exam Prep book and the new release of Java 2 Programmer Exam Cram 2 from Que!
- Not ready to start cramming for the certification exam? How about a really complete Java Text! Just Java by Peter van der Linden is now in its fifth edition, with new material on hot areas like XML. The book is published by Sun Microsystems Press— order ISBN 0-13-032072-2 here.
- Test your Java skills with the Rules Roundup Game at JavaRanch. JavaRanch is also great for extensive discussion groups, which include certification, XML, Servlet/JSP, J2ME, and other Java topics. Many advanced programmers hang out there to answer your questions.
- Huge list of mock exam sites, book reviews.
- Maha Anna’s Java Home has lots of tips on the exam.
- JavaLobby has general Java News and Resources.
- Java Developer’s Journal
- A really large Java FAQ with a lot of contributors.
- Another large collection of Java resources. This one is part of a site on technical computing resource.
- Tutorials, resource guides, certification information, and links to other sites—maintained by Michael Thomas.
- An extensive Glossary, FAQ, and general resources site maintained by Roedy Green.
- An ongoing discussion on Java certification.
- WHIZlabs has several certification test simulators including SCJP-, SCWCD-, and J2EE-related exams, such as WebLogic and IBM’s certs.